Thursday, April 12, 2012

My pretty purple and green spring bag/purse

I found my self in the mall a few weeks back browsing the purse department in Macy's... YIKES!! No way was I able or willing to spend high $$$$ for a spring bag!! So I thought to my self... why not make one (the light bulb went on :) I began my search for a cute crochet bag pattern, this took some time because there are a lot of wonderfully cute free bag patterns out there (but I loved the search). I decided I really liked this stitch pattern http://www.piece-by-piece.net/Crochet/pssbag.htm


















The only problem was that the bag would not be sturdy enough to hold all of the things I keep in my purse, I think I actually have fit arms because of the weight of my purse :) !
So, it was time to get creative. I decided to only make the outer shell of the bag crochet and actually sew a sturdy fabric bag for the inside. I had this pretty purple leftover yarn from another project and thought that it was a nice spring purple color so I went with it. The only problem with this yarn is it is very soft and I was really worried (after I crochet the section I wanted) that it would not hold up well. I just hate that feeling of  Oh'no! I just waisted HOURS on something and it is not going to work!  I  had that feeling on this one. But, I went a head and planned out the fabric portion of the bag and pieced together a rectangular shaped bag and lined it with an iron on interfacing I also added reinforcement in the form of cardboard to the bottom. I did alter the crochet pattern for the purpose of having a bottom to the purse. I made a rectangle base before I started the pattern and just made it the size I wanted to bag to be, then I cut the fabric to match the size of the crocheted portion. 
I added a few interior pockets to hold my cell phone and lip gloss etc. I also added a few fabric flowers and a super cute purse charm I found at Michael's :)







I love your feedback :) let me know what you think






11 comments:

  1. I love it! What a pretty purse. . . and it looks very sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Great job! I actually had a similar idea that I'm in the midst of putting together. I hope mine turns out as wonderful as yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This turned out great! Pretty colors. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! its beautiful and practical all at the same time. Plenty of room for all the must carries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome projects..i love the crochet top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the purse! Great idea as I love the look of crochet but its never sturdy enough on its own, now you have solved the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is there a pattern for this bag? I absolutely love it and want to try to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry, I do not have a pattern for this, I just made it up as I went along.

    ReplyDelete